Steps to Carving a Perfect Pumpkin
Carving a pumpkin during the Halloween and Fall season is something that is fun and entertaining no matter how old you are. It is a great way to showcase your creativity and truly create something that is totally YOURS! However, carving a pumpkin is not as easy as many think and a lot of times it can take a good amount of practice. No matter how experienced you are or what age you are, everyone can take into consideration a couple tips and tricks to carving the perfect pumpkin. Here are some tips from us for you to use this Halloween season:
- Have the right tools. First and foremost, it is important that you make sure that you have the right tools to carve. While there are many different tools out there, you do not need anything fancy – a few different sized knives should do the trick. If you are looking for a full kit, you can visit one of your local stores and purchase a pumpkin carving kit which may include some pokers for holes as well as a sturdy spoon to carve out all the stringy pieces of the pumpkin.
- Have the template. Next, if you are not the best at creating a design from scratch, print out a template that you would like to use to carve on to the pumpkin. Once you have your templates, make sure that the paper is wet so that it can easily stick on to the pumpkin smoothly. It is important that the paper stays at least damp throughout the process.
- Place the pumpkin in your lap. When the template is smoothly on, it is time to start carving! Many find it easiest to place the pumpkin in their lap so they can easily hold on to the pumpkin and make sure it is secure throughout the carving. If you choose to go this route, it is vital that you move very slowly and be careful, especially with the knives!
- Preserve your pumpkin. Once carved, you want to make sure that you can enjoy the pumpkin for a while! Preserve your pumpkin with the solution of your choice. Many people find that petroleum jelly will keep the pumpkin fresh for a longer amount of time.
- Light it up! Congratulations – you have finished the pumpkin carving process. Now it is time to light it up and enjoy throughout the Halloween season!