It is always smart when assessing your budget to take a look at what your monthly expenses are and try and figure out how and where you can cut costs and save some extra cash. When it comes to your utilities, there are a few tips and tricks on cutting down those monthly bills, including your electric, water, and heat bills! Here are a few ways that you can ensure your utility bills come in lower each month:
- Check in on your utility company’s dual-time rates. Many people do not realize that utility companies actually have dual-time rates, which means that utilities will cost more during the peak hours of the day. Give your utility company a call to see if they have flat or dual rates, and if dual, try to adjust the times you use your dishwasher or washing machine to save some extra money.
- Unplug where possible. You are racking up your utility bills when items are plugged in 24/7. If you are not using an item, or it does not need to be plugged in, try and make an active effort to unplug and avoid using extra energy.
- Research into water-saving showerheads and faucets. There are several different showerheads and faucets that are on the market that actually help to restrict the water flow, ultimately lowering your bill. If you have the funds, do some research on a new showerhead or faucet that might work for you!
- Don’t run appliances unless they are full. Unless it is absolutely necessary, try not to run appliances like your dishwasher, washing machine and dryer unless they are completely full. This way, you are minimizing the amount of water being used to wash your dishes and clothing.
- Consider air drying clothing. Using your dryer frequently can very quickly raise your utilities bill. Think about air drying your clothing to avoid those extra costs or use dryer balls to speed up the process a bit.
- Replace your AC with fans. Everyone knows how costly running an AC unit can be if you are running it consistently, especially during the summer. Think about purchasing some fans in place of your AC unit, which will be a huge money saver!